Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Grim Outlook

So yesterday, a certain email appeared to be too much for Outlook to handle. As I tried a dozen different remedies, I kept getting the same message:


Now, there's no telling if this problem was Vista-related or not, but one of the things Vista suggested was to get the latest updates -- for VISTA -- and so I tried that. I won't go into how annoying the update process is--

Yes I will. Know how in XP, you run a Windows update, and it happens in the background, and you need to restart your computer to have it take effect? Well in Vista, the update doesn't install until after you tell the computer to shut down. Then you sit there and wait, watching this funky blue screen that tells you the installation's progress. THEN it restarts.

Used to be you could get work done while your OS updated. Not anymore.

Anyway, I finally solved the problem by downloading and installing Thunderbird, checking that email account, downloading the offending message (still no idea why Outlook choked on it), then Outlook ran fine after that.

In other news, Apple's stock price has more than doubled since I liquidated all my shares last year. OUCH.

Vista sucks, but maybe I can short MSFT,
Randy

No comments: